The stock Jaguar XJ inner axle must be shortened to XKE Series
Alternately, you may build the axle from scratch. Specifications are
from us. Complete assemblies and parts are available from E.R.A.
Remove the hub carrier from the axle/control arm as
To visually the assembly process, there is a useful YouTube video here.
|Clean and deburr the axle splines.
Assemble the stub and inner axle together, replacing the
with genuine Spicer units (5-160X).
Clean the hub carrier casting of any machining debris, especially on
- Press the inner and outer bearing races and outer
seal only into the carrier.
- Install the seal race and the outer bearing onto
the hub. Make sure that
both are completely seated.
- Install the seal race onto the stub axle.
| ADJUSTING HUB
When the hub carrier is assembled, the end float of the
should be .002" preload to .002" float. Aim for zero. You can change
end float with the correct size of spacer from Jaguar, SICP, Concours
Insert the hub with outer bearing into the hub carrier.
- Moderately press the outer bearing onto the small
end of the hub so that
the bearing seats into the bearing cup. Check that there is no axial
of the hub, but it still rotates freely.
- Measure the distance from the hub end to the
bearing surface with an accurate
- Find the next size larger spacer in the chart.
- Assemble the spacer onto the stub axle, install
the axle assembly into the
hub, lining up the cotter pin holes in each. Install a flat washer and
Tighten the nut to 140 lb-ft.
- Check the end play with a dial indicator. If it is
correct, back off the
nut to the near hole and install the cotter pin.
|Jag part #
Hold the hub carrier vertically in a vise with the inner end of the hub
uppermost. Place the special collar tool (Jag tool No. J15) on the hub
Place the inner bearing inner race on the hub and press the race onto
hub until the inner face is flush with the special collar. This will
end flat bearings. The end float should then be measured with a dial
indicator. A spacer should then be fitted in place of the Special
to give end float of zero to 0.004". Spacers are supplied in the
- For example, assume the end float measured to be
.025". Subtract the nominal
end float of .002" from the measured end float giving .023". Since the
Collar is .150" thick, the thickness of the spacer to be fitted will be
0.023" i.e. .127". The nearest spacers are 0.126" or 0.128". For
use the spacer yielding more end float.
- The inner oil seal should now be fitted.
- When the axle shaft has been fitted and nut
tightened (140 lb.ft.), check
the end float with a dial indicator. If it is correct, back off the nut
the near hole and install the cotter pin.
- Pack the inner and outer bearings with good wheel
bearing grease. Also fill
(about half-way) the cavity in the hub carrier.
- Install both the seals into the hub carrier.
- Re-assemble the hub carrier with hub and axle.
- Install the washer and retaining nut. Tighten the
nut to 225 lbft. Without
an air wrench, you may want to wait until the car is on the ground for
Setting up the Jaguar lower